Short bob hairstyles and the Denman hair brush are a match made in heaven. As a hair styling tool, the Denman hairbrush has a long and illustrious history in contemporary hairdressing. It was the hairbrush of choice for Vidal Sassoon when he created his most iconic hairstyles. Think clothes designer Mary Quant’s sleek bob haircut, model Grace Coddington’s sharp five-point cut and actress Mia Farrow’s pixie cut.
Short Bob Hairstyles: Create Movement or Keep It Sleek
The wonderful thing about the Denman hair brush is its versatility. You can use it to create the sleek finish of Sassoon’s classic short bob hairstyle or, alternatively, use it to create movement and body in any part of the hair.
Try these 3 Denman styling techniques at home and discover just how versatile short bob hairstyles can be…
Prep the Hair and Get it Ready for Styling
- Start by prepping the hair. Our model has fine hair with a bob haircut. We wanted maximum shine so we used Revive and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner to prep the hair. It adds body and detangles fine hair so it gave us a great base for styling the hair.
- After shampooing, conditioning and rinsing the hair, soak up the excess water with a towel. It’s important at this stage not to rough up the hair too much. Gentle squeezing with a towel is fine.
- If you are using a styling product, apply to the hair now. Hair should be damp but not dripping wet. We used Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Volume. Again, it gave our fine-haired model more volume and adds shine.
- Once you’ve applied your styling product you can rough dry the hair using a hairdryer. Again, try not to rough up the hair too much. Rough drying is simply the technique of drying the hair using fingers rather than the brush. So you should still try to be gentle with the hair. Dry the hair to the point of being semi-dry before you start working with the brush.
Style 1 Short Bob Hairstyle with a Sleek Finish
Once hair is prepped, you can get to work with your Denman Hair Brush.
- As you finish drying the hair with a hairdryer, use the Denman to brush hair in a downward movement. It’s absolutely essential to hold the brush flat to your head. Keeping the brush flat will help the hair cuticle lie flat. Any movement of the brush away from the head will lift the cuticle. Lifting the cuticle will create a fuller look, so if you want silky and sleek, keep it flat!
- The Denman brush is ideal for fine hair as it effortlessly glides through the hair, smoothing as it goes.
- Because our model has fine hair and we wanted to give this bob haircut a little bit of lift. So we’ve opted for a deep side parting to give the hair a touch more volume. You can move the parting, depending on the look/style you want to create.
Style 2 Give Short Bob Hairstyles some Movement
Once hair is prepped as outlined above, Denman brush to the ready and it’s time to create some movement.
- Use the Deman in the same way that you would use a roller. Take any section of the hair, place the brush into the hair where you want movement. Turn or twist the brush at an angle. Holding the brush at an angle will lift the hair, giving extra body and movement. Basically the opposite of what you would do for a sleek finish.
- Once the brush is in position, give the hair a quick blast of heat and leave to cool, brush still in place. You can give the hair a blast of cold air if you prefer but letting it cool will have the same effect.
- Once hair is cool, release the brush and use your fingers to position the hair.
Style 3 Use the Denman to Back Brush Hair for Volume
This can be done at any point after styling. In fact, it works better on hair a day or so after washing. The Denman is ideal for light back-brushing as it won’t matt the hair.
- Gently back-brush the hair close to the roots and underneath. This should be a gentle movement and, ideally, you should stay around half an inch away from the roots ensuring you don’t put too much tension on the hair.
- For our model, we created a deeper parting and gently worked just beyond the roots on the right-hand side.
- As you can see from our model, we’ve used back-brushing to give a bit more lift than with the sleek finish of Style 1 (above) but less movement than Style 2. It’s a great style solution to give a bob haircut some lift in between washes.
Hair Styling Tools: Experiment with the Denman Hair Brush
The Denman brush comes in different sizes and weights. Smaller brushes will help you create gentle movement, whilst larger brushes can help you create bigger volume and waves. If you have a bob haircut this is an essential styling tool for your kit bag. Experimenting with the Denman is a great way of giving you different style options for short bob hairstyles and haircuts.
If you have fine hair and want further help on styling options or taking care of fine hair, this is a great resource for tips and ideas on looking after fine hair, Salon Know How: How to look after Fine Hair.
Or get some simple styling tips from Think your Fine Hair is a Letdown? Style it Out.
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. If you have any questions about our products, would like advice on the best products for your hair type, or have another question about how to look after your hair, please get in touch at email@example.com
Shop the Look
Our model has fine, colour-treated hair. Because her hair is fine we prioritised giving her more volume. So we used Revive and Shine Shampoo, Revive and Shine Conditioner and Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Volume.