Improving hair elasticity might be a term you’ve come across when scanning a bottle of shampoo or conditioner. It might even be something you’ve heard your hairdresser talk about. But for most of us, it’s not a focus until the hair becomes difficult to style or worse, it becomes brittle and starts to break.
Who Should Care About Hair Elasticity?
The answer to that question is that we all should care about improving hair elasticity. How much stretch your hair has is an indicator of how healthy the hair is. If you want great looking hair then it starts with adding moisture to improve the condition.
Hair that doesn’t have sufficient elasticity has lost moisture and can be prone to breakage. Moisture is as important to the hair as it is to the skin. Here’s why:
- The hair is made up of layers and, for the hair to stay healthy, it needs moisture at the core of the hair.
- The outer layer of the hair is called the cuticle and this layer is made up of tiny scales that are there to protect the core and help it to retain moisture.
- Lots of factors have an impact on the outer layer of the hair; Sun, wind, central heating, styling etc. all conspire to make the cuticle dry.
- When the cuticle becomes dry, the scales of the cuticle lift and the core of the hair loses moisture. This reduces the elasticity of the hair.
When hair loses elasticity it can be frustratingly difficult to style. Often hair with low elasticity will not hold the shape after styling. If this sounds familiar then read on…
Here’s how you can establish the elasticity of your hair by taking the stretch test. You can do this at home and it will be a good indicator of what kind of shape your hair is in.
The Stretch Test
The stretch test is simple to do and knowing the condition of your hair will help in understanding how to style and care for your hair.
- When hair is wet, select a strand of hair, hold securely at the root area so that you can avoid pulling at the roots. With the other hand gently stretch the hair.
- Release the hair. If the hair stretches and returns to its original length when released, then elasticity is good.
- If there is any breakage or the hair doesn’t fall back into shape then its time to think seriously about improving the condition.
NB Hair is most vulnerable when wet so it’s important to be gentle with the hair at all times!
So What’s Next?
Once you’ve established the elasticity of your hair, there are two possible outcomes.
If your hair has good elasticity then think about maintenance. Regular conditioning and a weekly hair masque should be sufficient. Try to avoid styling products with alcohol-denat as it can be drying for the hair and keep up the good work!
If you find your hair has poor elasticity, please don’t despair! With a good routine and some TLC, you can improve the condition of your hair. We never promise quick fixes but with regular attention, you can get your hair back in shape and keep it that way.
Here are our top tips for improving the elasticity of hair.
- Regular conditioning. Always condition your hair after you shampoo. Think of it in the same way that you look after your face. After cleansing, moisturise the hair with conditioner.
- If the condition is very poor use an intensive hair mask treatment twice a week for at least 2 weeks. This will help to rehydrate your hair and give it a much-needed boost.
- After 2 weeks of intensive treatment, the hair should be starting to improve. You can now kick off a regular routine of giving your hair a mask treatment once a week.
- Take some time out from heated styling tools to give your hair a chance to recover. If you can’t bear to be without your hairdryer then choose a cooler heat setting and try not to over-dry your hair. Less is more!
- If you are using the Restore and Shine Hair Masque, we recommend leaving on the hair for as long as possible. For example, you can leave it on for a couple of hours or even overnight. For other hair masks, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Look out for shampoos, conditioners and styling products with ingredients that will improve hair elasticity. Honey is a favourite ingredient of ours as it improves elasticity, leaving hair supple. We love it so much that its an active ingredient in our Styling Products and in our Hydrate and Shine Shampoo.
Healthy Hair Matters
We’ve been working with hair for many years and we believe it’s possible for everyone to achieve healthy, shiny hair. It just takes a little time and patience.
If you have concerns about the health of your hair, if you find your hair has become dry and brittle or if your hair has lost its shine, we’ve recommended some additional reading below.
Whether your hair is fine, coarse, colour-treated, grey or curly all hair can become dry. We talk tips for adding moisture to all hair types. Plus we go more in-depth on the causes of dry hair and answer some common questions.
We share the benefits of Avocado for hair and share some salon know how on getting the best from your deep conditioner.
Get the heads up on the causes of damaged hair, how you can tell if the hair is damaged and what steps you can take to repair damaged hair. Plus we answer the most common questions about damaged hair.
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. If you have any questions about our products, would like advice on the best products for your hair type, or have another question about how to look after your hair, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Shop for Hair Elasticity
We take a holistic approach to healthy, shiny hair. We believe in eating foods that provide nutrients for the hair and scalp, whilst at the same time using good quality hair products that get moisture right to the core of the hair. When it comes to hair products we believe that, in addition to regular cleansing and moisturising, a weekly hair mask is absolutely essential to improving the moisture and elasticity of hair.
Treat your hair weekly with Restore and Shine Hair Masque
- Improve the texture of hair and add shine
- Add moisture to dry hair
- Improve hair health, strength and hair elasticity.