If you’ve searched Avocado Hair Mask, chances are your hair is feeling parched. Maybe you feel your hair is in need of a deep conditioner. Avocados are a popular choice for hair masks and with good reason.
Benefits of Avocado Oil for Hair
- Avocado is a powerhouse of fatty acids. Fatty acids add moisture to the hair and smooth the cuticle. This makes hair easier to work with and style.
- Avocados contain linoleic and oleic fatty acids. Linoleic acid is great for balancing scalp condition. Oleic acid helps to hair to retain moisture, making avocado oil a great ingredient for fighting frizz.
- With moisturising properties, the avocado makes hair easier to detangle. No wonder the avocado hair mask is a favourite deep conditioner.
- By adding moisture to dry hair, the avocado hair mask leaves hair shiny and soft.
- Avocado, of course, is not just good for putting on your hair. Packed with fatty acids and vitamins C, D, E and B6 its a nutritious treat for your hair when included in your healthy hair diet.
What are the benefits of a Deep Conditioner?
The purpose of a deep conditioner is to put back what we take out of our hair. Everything we do to our hair has an impact; from exposure to all kinds of weather to heated styling and colour treatments to not being gentle enough when handling wet hair. All of those things can be drying for hair and in the worst cases cause breakage and damage.
The job of the deep conditioner is to add moisture to dry hair. Regular treatments with a deep conditioner such as an avocado hair mask can help replenish and repair the damage we do to our hair. Find out more in our blog Salon Know How: Why use a Deep Conditioning Hair Mask?
How often should I use a Deep Conditioner?
Think of a deep conditioner or avocado hair mask like a face mask. You may not apply a face mask every week but hair needs a bit more attention. You don’t apply hot irons or peroxide (colour treatments) to your face and its unlikely that you pull and tug at your face the way we do with our hair. But hair and skin are made of the same protein, keratin.
In short, we recommend a hair mask treatment every week. A regular infusion of moisture will help you to improve and maintain the condition of your hair.
What about an Olive Oil Hair Mask?
Olive oil is often in homemade recipes for avocado hair masks. The reason olive oil is used in an avocado hair mask is that it helps to moisturise the scalp. It’s often used as an anti-inflammatory on the scalp and to combat dandruff.
Homemade vs Salon Developed Avocado Hair Mask
If you are looking for an avocado hair mask you have a couple of options.
Homemade Avocado Hair Mask
You can make your own. There are plenty of recipes for avocado hair masks on the web. Its a great choice if you have the ingredients to hand and you want to keep your beauty routine as close to nature as possible.
This approach can be a little messy! It’s important to get the consistency right so that it stays on your hair, although using a plastic cap will help. If your recipe contains olive oil, it may take a couple of shampoos (or more!) to get the oil out of your hair. It’s important to choose a gentle shampoo when doing this as excessive shampooing with a harsh shampoo will reduce the benefits of doing the mask in the first place.
If you are going with the homemade approach, our advice is to gently feed the mask into the hair and avoid putting too much on. Layering is a good way of applying any product. Putting too much on at once can be too much for the hair.
Salon Developed Avocado Hair Mask
If the homemade variety is not for you, take a look at our award-winning Restore and Shine Masque. Like all the Ogario conditioners, this deep conditioner contains avocado oil and also olive leaf extract. It’s expertly blended so that it’s suitable for all hair types. You get all the benefits of an avocado hair mask or indeed an olive oil hair mask but with a few extras too!
In addition to avocado and olive leaf, you’ll find the following ingredients in our Restore and Shine Hair Masque:
- Pro-vitamin b5: Gets moisture right to the core of the hair and smoothes the cuticle, helping to target split ends and give body to the hair.
- Glycerin: This sweet treat helps the hair retain water and tackles frizz.
- Cetearyl Alcohol: This fatty alcohol is a natural fat that gently smoothes the hair to detangle, leaving it easier to style
- Tocopherol: Otherwise known as vitamin E this natural anti-oxidant supports healthy hair and scalp.
What’s the right deep conditioner for your hair type?
Choosing the right deep conditioner for your hair type can be tricky. So we’ve made it simple. Restore and Shine Hair Masque is suitable for all hair types. Get the most from your deep conditioner by following our tips by hair type below:
When choosing a deep conditioner for fine hair there are a couple of things to consider. Finding a product that doesn’t leave any residue in the hair is a priority. You don’t want a product that’s too heavy for your hair. Next up is choosing a deep conditioner that adds volume and body to the hair.
For fine hair to have body moisture is essential. The combination of pro-vitamin b5 and avocado and glycerin in Restore and Shine Hair Masque adds moisture, whilst helping hair to retain that moisture.
Tips for using a deep conditioner on Fine Hair
- Use once a week after shampooing hair.
- Gently squeeze out excess water from the hair
- Apply a small amount of deep conditioner to the ends and mid-lengths
- With fine hair, it’s best to layer a small amount of deep conditioner on to the hair a little at a time.
- If you are concerned about tangles, you can use a wide-tooth comb at this point. However, we have a note of caution. Be gentle and make sure you don’t pull at the roots. It’s not essential to use a comb with Restore and Shine Hair Masque as it will do much of the detangling for you.
- Leave on hair for 10 mins minimum and depending on your hair 1 to 2 hours maximum. Rinse and style as normal.
For more tips on caring for fine hair go to our blog, Salon Know How: How to Look after Fine Hair.
A weekly deep conditioner is essential for anyone with dry hair. Including this treat in your weekly hair care routine is the route to well-hydrated, smooth, shiny hair.
Tips for using a deep conditioner on Dry Hair
- Use once a week after shampooing hair. Rinse and gently squeeze out excess water using a microfibre towel if you have one.
- Hair should still be damp but not dripping wet; now you are ready to apply your deep conditioner.
- If the hair is dry and fine just focus on the ends and mid-lengths. If the hair is thicker and coarse, you can take Restore and Shine Hair Masque right up to the scalp. It contains Nettle so along with the avocado its good for treating dry scalp as well as dry hair
- If the hair is very dry you can leave in for a few hours. Simply leave the deep conditioner to dry in your hair and enjoy the zesty aroma of our essential oil blend.
- When you are ready, rinse and style as normal. Hair should feel more slippery and easier to style.
Get more tips on adding moisture to dry hair from our blog, Salon Know How: How to Moisturise Dry Hair.
If the hair has been damaged by colouring or excessive heat, hair may be in need of some extra attention. The avocado, glycerin and provitamin b5 in our hair mask will kick start the process of reviving your hair. We want to stress that there are no quick fixes for repairing damaged hair but with regular attention from this deep conditioner, your hair can recover.
Tips for using a deep conditioner on Damaged Hair
- For damaged hair, we recommend using our Restore and Shine Hair Masque twice a week for the first two weeks and once a week thereafter.
- It’s good to give the hair an initial boost of moisture and then keep it topped up with a weekly treatment to deep condition the hair.
- Prior to applying the deep conditioner, we recommend washing hair in lukewarm water as this is kinder to the hair.
- Leave the hair mask on for as long as possible. If you can leave on overnight and rinse the next morning. No need to shampoo our Restore and Shine Hair Masque out of the hair, simply rinse. Read more about our dry hair treatment products…
Whilst your hair is in recovery, there’s a lot you can do to prevent any further damage. Take a look at our blog, Salon Know How: How to Repair Damaged Hair to find our more.
Curly hair is one of the thirstiest of all hair types. Treating hair weekly with a deep conditioner containing avocado, glycerin and pro-vitamin b5 helps to quench the thirst. By adding moisture to the hair and smoothing the cuticle a deep conditioner can help your curls to shine, give them better definition and make them easier to style.
Tips for using a deep conditioner on Curly Hair
- Shampoo hair with a gentle, hydrating shampoo. Chances are you are not washing your hair every day so its good to give hair a couple of shampoos.
- After rinsing the hair and gently squeezing out the excess water with microfibre towel you are ready to apply your deep conditioner.
- If you have thick or coarse hair, you can apply the Restore and Shine Hair Masque from tip to root. We recommend working up the hair from the ends as this puts less tension on the hair.
- If you have a lot of tangles you can tease them out with a wide comb. Alternatively, try just feeding the deep conditioner into your hair. As you rinse, you should find that the Restore and Shine Hair Masque has done much of the work for you. Release any remaining tangles with your fingers as you rinse and be careful to avoid tension at the roots.
- You can leave the Restore and Shine Hair Masque on for several hours or even overnight. For more hydration give the deep conditioner more time.
Get more info on looking after your curls from our blog, Salon Know How: How to care for Curly Hair Naturally.
So whether you choose a homemade avocado hair mask, opt for a targeted, salon product or just enjoying eating this gorgeous green fruit, it’s safe to say that avocado is good for your hair inside and out!
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. If you have any questions about our products, would like advice on the best products for your hair type, or have another question about how to look after your hair, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Beauty Bible Recommends
Our Restore and Shine Hair Masque was award best hair mask in the Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards. Here’s what Josephine Fairley and Sarah Stacey had to say,
“Beauty Bible fell in love with this mask when we discovered it at a Cosmetic Executive Women product demo evening. The brand comes from a London hair salon, and the mask is a huge boon for hair – packed with avocado, olive oil, aloe vera, nettle and horsetail, together with sage (which is rich in vitamins A, C and E). Just a sniff of this rich, unctuous creamy mask perks you up. Use for gleaming shiny, healthy hair.”