3 Short Bob Hairstyles
Short bob hairstyles and the Denman hairbrush are a match made in heaven. As a hair styling tool, the Denman hairbrush has a long and illustrious history in contemporary hairdressing. It was the hairbrush of choice for Vidal Sassoon when he created his most iconic hairstyles. Think clothes designer Mary Quant’s sleek bob haircut, model Grace Coddington’s sharp five-point cut and actress Mia Farrow’s pixie cut.
Restore and Shine Hair Masque, Deep Conditioner
Treats Hair Condition for Improved Styling Results
Beauty Bible Winner of Best Hair Mask
My hair has never been so soft, silky and shiny and it smells absolutely gorgeous. I use the Restore and Shine Hair Masque once a week and the condition of my hair has significantly improved. I love these products!
Short Bob Hairstyles: Create Movement or Keep It Sleek
The wonderful thing about the Denman hairbrush is its versatility. You can use it to create the sleek finish of Sassoon’s classic short bob hairstyle or, alternatively, use it to create movement and body in any part of the hair.
Try these 3 Denman styling techniques at home and discover just how versatile short bob hairstyles can be.
Prepare Short Bob Hairstyles for Styling.
- Start by prepping the hair. Our model has fine hair with a bob haircut. We wanted maximum shine, so we used Revive and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner to prep the hair. Revive and Shine Conditioner adds volume and detangles fine hair giving a good base for hair styling.
- After shampooing, conditioning and rinsing the hair, soak up the excess water with a towel. It’s vital not to rough up the hair too much. Gentle squeezing with a towel is fine.
- If you are using a styling product, apply now. Hair should be damp but not dripping wet. Use Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Volume, our best volumizer for fine hair. This adds volume and shine to hair for a fuller finish. For a sleeker finish choose Styling Mist for Glossy Finish.
- Once you’ve applied your styling product, you can rough dry the hair using a hairdryer. Again, try not to rough up the hair too much. Rough drying is a technique of drying the hair using fingers rather than the brush. So keep it easy and be gentle with the hair. Dry the hair to semi-dry before you start working with your hairbrush.
Get Shiny, swingy hair that holds its shape with Styling Mist for Volume.
The result? Shiny, swingy hair that holds its shape. And while this formula may never rival the industrial strength styling aids from mainstream haircare brands, it’s going to make for very happy hair days for natural beauties.” Beauty Bible
Style 1 Short Bob Hairstyles with a Sleek Finish
Once hair is prepped, get to work with your Denman Hair Brush.
- As you finish drying the hair with a hairdryer, use the Denman to brush hair in a downward movement. It’s essential to hold the brush flat to your head. Keeping the brush flat will help the hair cuticle lie flat. The opposite action of moving the hairbrush away from your head will lift the cuticle. Lifting the cuticle will create a fuller look. So, if you want a silky, sleek bob, keep it flat.
- The Denman brush is ideal for fine hair as it effortlessly glides through the hair, smoothing as you brush your hair.
- Because our model has fine hair and we wanted to give this bob haircut a little bit of lift. So we’ve opted for a deep side parting to give the hair more volume. Move the parting, depending on the look/style you want to create.
Style 2 Give Short Bob Hairstyles Movement.
Once hair is prepped as outlined above, Denman brush to the ready and it’s time to create some movement.
- Use the Deman in the same way that you would use a roller. Take any section of the hair, place the brush into the hair where you want movement. Turn or twist the brush at an angle. Holding the brush at an angle will lift the hair, giving extra body and movement. Basically the opposite of what you would do for a sleek finish.
- Once the brush is in position, give the hair a quick blast of heat and leave to cool, brush still in place. You can give the hair a blast of cold air if you prefer but letting it cool will have the same effect.
- Once hair is cool, release the brush and use your fingers to position the hair.
Style 3 Use the Denman to Back Brush Hair for Volume.
The Denman is ideal for light back-brushing as it won’t matt the hair.
- Gently back-brush the hair close to the roots and underneath. Be gentle with the movement. Stay around half an inch away from your roots, not putting too much tension on them.
- We created a deeper parting and gently worked just beyond the roots, on the right-hand side.
- As you can see from our model, we’ve used back-brushing to give more lift. It’s fuller than with the sleek finish of Style 1 (above) but has less movement than Style 2. We’ve created a lift at the ends using the hairbrush. To do this, leave the brush on a slight curve at the ends of the hair. Then apply heat with the hairdryer, remove the heat, leaving the hairbrush in place until the hair cools.
Hair Styling Tools: Experiment with the Denman Hair Brush for Short Bob Hairstyles
The Denman hairbrush comes in different sizes and weights. Smaller hairbrushes will help you create gentle movement, whilst larger hairbrushes give bigger volume and waves. If you have a bob haircut, this is an essential styling tool for your kit bag. Experimenting with the Denman is a fabulous way of giving you different style options for short bob hairstyles and haircuts.
About the Author
Norris Ogario is founder and Creative Director of Ogario London. Developed in his London salon, the Ogario London haircare products reflect his belief that hydration is the key to fixing most hair problems. You can style hydrated hair with ease. Plus, hydration leaves hair shiny and healthy. Norris has over 35 years of hair know-how. With expertise in all hair types; from dry hair to fine or grey hair, from frizzy to damaged or bleached hair, curly hair and afro hair, Norris offers his advice.
Over the years, I’ve talked to and helped a lot of customers with dry hair concerns. I write about all aspects of healthy hair, from stopping frizz to using the best styling ingredients to care for your hair. Plus, I share salon tips and techniques for looking after all hair types.
You can find all my tips and expert hair advice on the Healthy Hair Care Blog.
The way we style and care for our hair is not the only factor determining hair health and shine. Because good nutrition is vital.
Delve deeper into how you can improve your healthy hair diet, with my blog, Healthy Hair: Choose the Best Foods for Hair Growth.
Get tips and ideas on looking after fine hair, Salon Know How: How to look after Fine Hair.
Or get some simple styling tips from Think your Fine Hair is a Letdown? Style it Out.
Frizzy hair is not something you have to put up with. You can stop frizzy hair. It’s all about getting the right routine for your hair. Discover more about taming frizz in my ultimate guide to fighting the frizz.
How to Take Care of Bleached Hair
All colour treatments have an impact on reducing moisture in the hair, particularly if you bleach your hair.
Get tips on how to regain your shine in my blog, How to take care of Bleached Hair. You’ll find everything you need to know about taking care of bleached hair to how to fix hair damaged from over-bleaching. Plus, don’t miss my case my case study on elasticity in bleached hair.
How to do a Bouncy Blow Dry
Two questions have come up frequently during my time in hairdressing. Firstly, how can I get rid of frizz? Secondly, How can I make my hair shiny. The two are intrinsically linked. Discover more in my blog for everything your hair needs for maximum shine.
From choosing the best grey hair products to the best hairstyles for grey hair, how to enhance grey hair, how to soften coarse grey hair to how to transition from coloured hair to grey, I’ve put together a list of the most common questions for everything you need to know about how to look after grey hair and enhance what you’ve got. Go to my Ultimate Guide for Caring Grey Hair.
Stopping split ends doesn’t have to be an onerous task. Take control of your hair care routine to get rid of split ends.
Deep Hair Conditioner
I answer your questions about deep hair conditioner. If you have dry, dull hair and you are looking to boost your hair health and shine, this is a must-read.
Ogario London is a salon developed range of natural hair care products. Because we are passionate about our products, delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. Do you have questions about our products? Or, would you like advice on the best products for your hair type? Maybe have another question about how to look after your hair? If you do, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As Seen In
Shop for Volume
My Styling Products are developed to give you a light, natural hold with absolutely no compromise on the condition of your hair. In fact, my styling range is cleverly designed to condition your hair as you style. Application is easy and our styling products leave absolutely no build-up on the hair.
For adding volume to hair, I recommend Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Volume.
- Detangle hair
- Condition as your style
- Speed up drying time
Beauty Bible Recommends Ogario London Hair Masque
Restore and Shine Hair Masque was awarded best hair mask in the Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards. As an independent hair care brand, we are incredibly proud to be recognised alongside some of the industry’s biggest haircare brands. Because I spend time ensuring that our products deliver the best results, I couldn’t be happier to get this review and win this prestigious award.
Here’s what Josephine Fairley and Sarah Stacey had to say,
“Beauty Bible fell in love with this mask when we discovered it at a Cosmetic Executive Women product demo evening. The brand comes from a London hair salon, and the mask is a huge boon for hair – packed with avocado, olive oil, aloe vera, nettle and horsetail, together with sage (which is rich in vitamins A, C and E). Just a sniff of this rich, unctuous deep conditioner perks you up. Use for gleaming shiny, healthy hair.”