The Velcro roller is one of my favourite hair styling tools. Ok, so I know the Velcro roller isn’t at the cutting edge of technology, and it’s not as whizzy as some of the new hair styling tools out there. But, there is a but, sometimes the classics are the best. Velcro rollers are not only gentle on your hair, but they’re also versatile with a capital ‘V’.
If you want to turn heads with big bouncy waves, add volume to shorter styles or find easier, quicker and less damaging ways to style your hair, I recommend Velcro rollers.
Choose Hair Styling Tools that are Gentle on the Hair
Heat damage is a significant cause of dry, brittle and frizzy hair. By reducing the amount of heat applied to your hair, you can kick-start getting damaged hair back into condition. In this blog, I’ll talk about why I love the Velcro Roller and share some tips on using Velcro Rollers in your hair.
Eight Reasons to Love Velcro Rollers
- Velcro rollers are gentle on the hair. Give your hair a quick blitz with the hairdryer after washing. Pop in the Velcros whilst your hair is still warm and slightly damp. There’s no need to apply a lot of heat to your hair, making Velcro rollers one of the most gentle hair styling tools.
- You can take them anywhere. Velcro rollers are the ultimate in travelling light. Pop them in your handbag or hand luggage.
- They come in all shapes and sizes. Velcro rollers aren’t just for use in long hair. The smaller rollers are perfect for shorter and finer hair types.
- You can use them on long hair for big bouncy waves – don’t worry if your blow-drying skills are not up to scratch. Velcro rollers to the rescue. Go for fatter rollers to get big bouncy curls.
- Add volume to short hair – take a look at our blog to find out how you can use Velcro rollers to create volume at the crown.
- They help you to multi-task. You can leave the rollers in your hair whilst you get on with something else – putting on your makeup or choosing your outfit.
- Versatile Velcro! You can use velcro rollers for all hair types.
- Speed up styling time. No need to get hot under the hairdryer. No need for brushes. Let your Velcros do all the hard work!
Salon Know-How: Hair Tips for using Velcro Rollers
So, if you’ve never tried working with Velcro rollers, or maybe you’ve tried them and found them tricky, follow my tips below. Who knows? They might become your hair styling tool of choice!
- Choose the right Velcro roller for your hair. Big, fat rollers make big waves. Perfect for long hair and for adding volume. For shorter styles, go for medium to small rollers. Experiment and see what works for you.
- It’s best to apply them to hair when it’s still slightly warm and got some moisture. After washing hair, use a towel to blot out excess water. If the hair is still holding excess water, give it a quick blast with the hairdryer.
- When hair is no longer holding excessive water but is still damp, you can apply a styling product. Rough dry with the hairdryer. Be careful not to over-dry the hair. Most importantly, at this point, hair should be warm but still have some moisture, so not completely dry.
- Apply the rollers by taking a small section of hair. Make sure that you don’t cover the full width of the roller with hair, leaving space at either end.
- Tension is the most vital part of applying Velcro rollers. So, if you get this right and you’ll avoid tangles. Start by holding the roller at the end of the hair, keep the hair at a straight angle, and maintain the tension as you roll to the roots. Ensure you are not pulling at the roots when you do this.
- Leave your rollers to cool and take them out in 10-15 minutes. Roll them back and use your hands and fingers to push your hair in place.
Get Salon Results when you Style Hair
I have three rules that I always follow when styling hair. Follow these rules when styling hair at home to get the best results.
- Use less product. When using styling products, use a little. If you overdo it, you risk the hair becoming difficult to style.
- Dry your hair for less time. In my experience, most of us overdry our hair. Your don’t need to get your hair completely dry when working with a hairdryer. When hair is too dry, it loses its flexibility.
- Don’t overwork the hair. Hair can become flat if it’s touched or brushed too much.
About the Author
Norris Ogario is the founder and Creative Director of Ogario London. Developed in his London salon, the Ogario London haircare products reflect his belief that hydration is the key to fixing most hair problems. You can style hydrated hair with ease. Plus, hydration leaves hair shiny and healthy. Norris has over 35 years of hair know-how. Norris has expertise in all hair types, from dry hair to fine or grey hair, from frizzy to damaged or bleached hair, curly hair and afro hair.
Go to our Healthy Hair Care Blog for more expert advice.
For over 35 years, I’ve talked to and helped a lot of customers with hair concerns. I write about all aspects of healthy hair, from how to stop frizzy hair to how to get rid of split ends, and I share salon tips and techniques for looking after all hair types.
The way we style and care for our hair is not the only factor determining hair health and shine.
Good nutrition is vital.
Want to discover the best foods for hair growth? You’ll find everything you need to know in my blog, Healthy Hair: Choose the Best Foods for Hair Growth.
Leave In Conditioner with Argan Oil for Hair
Style your hair with a leave in hair conditioner. Add moisture to your hair before heated styling.
Expert Tips for Curly Hair
Application is important when you use hair hair products. Discover how applying your products in the right way can improve product performance. Plus we discuss the best routines for your deep conditioner.
Expert Tips for Shiny Hair
Shiny hair is the antithesis of frizzy hair. For maximum hair shine, the cuticle must be smooth. The smooth cuticles create a smooth surface for light bounce off your hair. Find our expert tips for how to get shiny hair.
How to Look After Grey Hair
Want to know how to look after grey hair? from choosing the best grey hair products to the best hairstyles for grey hair. Or from how to enhance grey hair to how to soften coarse grey hair or how to transition to grey hair, go to my Ultimate Guide for Caring Grey Hair.
Taking Care of Bleached Hair and Fix Damage
If you have bleached hair and want to regain your shine, read my blog, How to take care of Bleached Hair. You’ll find everything you need to know about taking care of bleached hair, from the best hair mask for bleached hair to how to fix hair damaged from over-bleaching.
Ogario London is a salon developed range of natural hair care products. Because we are passionate about our products, delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. Do you have questions about our products? Or, would you like advice on the best products for your hair type? Maybe have another question about how to look after your hair? If you do, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Beauty Bible Recommends Ogario London Hair Masque Hair Treatment
Inroducing Restore and Shine Hair Masque, awarded best hair mask in the Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards. As an independent hair care brand, we are incredibly proud to be recognised alongside some of the industry’s biggest haircare brands. Because I spend time ensuring that our products deliver the best results, I couldn’t be happier to get this review and win this prestigious award.
Here’s what Josephine Fairley and Sarah Stacey had to say,
“Beauty Bible fell in love with this mask when we discovered it at a Cosmetic Executive Women product demo evening. The brand comes from a London hair salon, and the mask is a huge boon for hair – packed with avocado, olive oil, aloe vera, nettle and horsetail, together with sage (which is rich in vitamins A, C and E). Just a sniff of this rich, unctuous deep conditioner perks you up. Use for gleaming shiny, healthy hair.”