Dry Hair Treatment
I’ve been working with hair for over 35 years, and I’d like to reassure you that you don’t have to put up with dry hair. With the best dry hair treatments, your hair can be silky-smooth and shiny.
Every season creates challenges for your hair. You might think cooler temperatures would be a relief for hair, but the drop in temperature brings with it damp air, rain and wind. Each conspiring to leave hair dry. When the central heating is on, its drying effects are another challenge for hair.
Some dry hair causes could be a combination of sunshine, chlorine damage, heated styling tools and harsh styling products. They can all leave your hair feeling dry, burnt out and brittle.
If you have dry hair, it’s time to take charge. Kick start your hair care routine with the best dry hair treatment; a hair mask for dry hair.
Here are some tips to get you started and get the most from your dry hair treatment.
Build a Weekly Routine
- When thinking about fixing dry hair, it’s good to get into a routine with a weekly hair treatment. Forget quick fixes. I’m talking about building a long-term approach to adding moisture to your hair. I’m talking about keeping it in the best condition so that your hair retains moisture.
- Dry hair treatments are also known as deep conditioners or hair masks. The job of dry hair treatments is to get moisture to the core of your hair. For your hair to retain moisture, the cuticle must be smooth. The cuticle is the outer layer of hair, and it forms a protective seal. If the cuticle lifts, hair becomes dry and brittle or prone to breakage. So it’s simple. It’s all about adding moisture to the hair’s core and smoothing the cuticle.
- The thing about hair is that you shouldn’t overload it. Restoring moisture to dry hair is a gradual approach. That’s why a weekly routine is vital. Add moisture to dry hair as part of a routine of conditioning and deep conditioning treatments to fix dry hair for good.
Get More from your Dry Hair Treatment
So once you’ve committed to treating dry hair, it’s vital to get the most from your product. The manufacturer’s instructions will give you a general guideline on usage for treatments for dry hair. However, I’ll share some salon expertise to help you get the most from your dry hair treatment.
Before you apply a dry hair treatment, it’s worth thinking about the porosity of your hair. Your hair’s porosity makes a difference in your dry hair treatment application.
What’s your Hair Porosity?
If you’ve had your hair colour-treated in a salon, you may have come across the term, porosity. Or maybe you have curly hair. It’s a term commonly used when caring for curly hair.
When we talk about porosity, we talk about how our hair absorbs moisture. There’s a reason this is important. It has an impact on how you approach the hair.
I grade the porosity of hair into three categories:
- Low Porosity: It doesn’t absorb moisture easily. Be sparing with dry hair treatment products to avoid overloading the hair. Too much product can leave hair flat. Always start with less product, let the hair absorb it for a few minutes and then layer on more product if needed.
- Normal Porosity: Easily absorbs moisture and stays hydrated. Condition your hair regularly and incorporate a weekly dry hair treatment into your hair care routine. That helps to maintain the health of your hair.
- High Porosity: This hair absorbs moisture well but needs a lot of moisture. Check the manufacturer’s instructions but leaving a dry hair treatment on for longer can help with high porosity hair. I recommend that your leave Restore and Shine Hair Masque on your hair overnight. Don’t be tempted to layer on lots of product; it isn’t necessary. Just leave it on for longer and give the hair mask more time to work its magic.
If you want to know more about porosity and how you can test your porosity type, go to my hair care blog on how to test your hair’s porosity. I’ve included this in my guide to curly hair. But, if your hair isn’t curly, don’t let that put you off. The principle of testing your hair’s porosity, along with how to treat dry hair, is the same, whatever your hair type.
Hair Care Tips for Dry Hair
With regular dry hair treatments, your hair should become silkier, shinier and easier to manage. However, there is more you can do. Keep your hair looking and feeling fresh with our tips below.
- Trim hair regularly to remove split ends. Leave them, and they’ll ride up the shaft and damage the hair. I recommend a trim every 6-8 weeks.
- If you colour your hair, keep on top of it. I recommend a semi-permanent colour on your ends. It’s less drying for the hair, and they are great for adding shine. Talk to your colourist for advice.
- Choose the right product for your hair type. If your products aren’t working for you, seek advice from your hairdresser. Make sure you condition every time you wash your hair.
- Less is more. Don’t overload the hair with fixatives. Avoid heavy products such as waxes and oils and choose leave-in conditioners that help with styling and add moisture to the hair.
- Build your hair care kit bag; include shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, brush, rollers and light styling products. Rollers are an easy way to give hair volume, and they are a great way of taking a break from heated styling. If you overdo it, heated styling can make hair dry.
Dry, Brittle Hair and Split Ends
If your hair is dry, it can lead to split ends and breakage.
Regular trims, along with your deep conditioning hair care routine, will help to reduce the risk of breakage.
Split ends can be frustrating if you want to achieve that smooth, glossy Hollywood hairdo. To achieve silky-smooth, shiny hair, I use Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Glossy Finish.
It contains tiny bubbles of keratin and argan oil that temporarily seal split ends. That means the cuticle sits flat for a super-shiny finish. Plus, there is the bonus that the keratin and argan oil reactivates when you brush hair in between washes.
It’s a styling product, but it’s also a leave-in conditioner. I love leave-in conditioners for styling. Leave-in conditioners are good for giving control when styling the hair. Plus, they add moisture to dry hair. That is vital if you use heated styling tools to dry your hair.
About the Author
Norris Ogario is founder and Creative Director of Ogario London. Developed in his London salon, the Ogario London haircare products reflect his belief that hydration is the key to fixing most hair problems. You can style hydrated hair with ease. Plus, hydration leaves hair shiny and healthy. Norris has over 35 years of hair know-how. With expertise in all hair types; from dry hair to fine or grey hair, from frizzy to damaged or bleached hair, curly hair and afro hair, Norris offers his advice.
If your hair is badly damaged, you can find more detail on how to fix damaged hair in our blog, Salon Know How: How to Repair Damaged Hair.
For more tips on dealing with dry hair take a look at our blog, Salon Know How: How to Moisturise Dry Hair.
If you want some ideas on how to reduce the amount of heat you apply to the hair when styling, take a look at our blog on styling Tousled Hair.
You can also check out our advice on how to fix dry, brittle hair.
How to Look After Grey Hair
Grey Hair is having its moment. My Ultimate Guide for Caring Grey Hair is a must-read for everything you need to know about how to look after your grey hair.
Taking Care of Bleached Hair and Fix Damage
If you have bleached hair and want to regain your shine, read my blog on how to care for bleached hair. Discover what you need to know about taking care of bleached hair.
How to Stop Frizzy Hair: Expert Tips
Yes, you can get rid of frizzy hair. Go Frizz-Free with my expert tips on taming the frizz. We share expert hair care tips for taming and smoothing frizzy hair.
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. If you have any questions about our hair products, would like advice on the best hair products for your hair type, or have another question about how to look after your hair, please get in touch at email@example.com
There are a lot of dry hair treatment products on the market. It can be tricky to work out which one is best for your hair. We like to keep things simple. Our Restore and Shine Hair Masque works for All Hair Types and is our best hair mask for dry hair and damaged hair. We developed it in our salon over a 4-year period and its formulated to add moisture and fix dry hair.