Leave in conditioner is an essential in any salon toolkit. Suitable for all hair types, from fine to frizzy, dry to damaged and curly hair the best leave in conditioners can detangle, reduce static and frizz, whilst speeding up drying time and leave hair with shine. If a leave in hair conditioner hasn’t found its way into your styling kit, now’s the time to find out more.
The best leave in conditioners should do 3 things:
- Detangle freshly washed hair; its best not to fight with your hair, especially when wet. Wet hair is vulnerable to breakage so a good leave in conditioner should do a lot of the detangling work for you.
- Add moisture; if you’ve read any of our other blogs, you’ll know that we are mad about moisture. Keeping hair hydrated is an absolute must to get rid of static and frizz. Not forgetting moisture adds shine, of course.
- Get hair ready to style; after shampooing and conditioning, hair generally needs support to make it more manageable and responsive when styling. With its nourishing ingredients, a leave in conditioner is a gentle option, particularly if your hair is prone to becoming dry.
How is a leave in hair conditioner different to a regular conditioner?
A leave in conditioner can come in a couple of different formats. It might be a cream. Creams tend to be lighter than a regular conditioner and they are formulated as the name suggests to be left in the hair. That means they shouldn’t leave any build-up. If you find you are getting a build-up from your leave in, then look for a lighter option.
Leave in conditioners can also be applied to the hair with a spray. A leave in conditioner spray is good for lots of different hair types and has the benefit of making application easier. When we were developing our Glossy Mist (leave in conditioner) we spent time experimenting with different spray heads to find the best application.
We opted for a spray head that gave a very fine mist as that gave us the most even spread on the hair. We also found that a fine mist was best for delivering the right amount of product to the hair without overloading it.
How to use Leave In Conditioner
- Shampoo and condition hair as normal.
- Once hair is rinsed, use your towel to gently squeeze out the water. Be gentle with our hair at this stage to prevent breakage. You can also wrap your hair in a microfibre towel to soak up any excess water.
- Once hair is no longer dripping wet you can apply the leave in conditioner. Basically, hair should be damp, not dripping, when you apply any styling product to your hair. It’s the same for leave in conditioner.
- If you are using a cream, put a small amount in your palm and work the product in your hands. This will warm the product, making it easier to apply. Focus on putting in on the ends and mid-lengths of the hair. Unless your hair is very thick, its best to avoid the roots.
- Less is more. When working with a new product its a good idea to layer on a small amount first to see how your hair responds and then add more if needed.
- If you are using a leave in conditioner spray, follow steps 1 to 3 and then follow the instructions from the manufacturer. We recommend just 2 to 3 spritzes of our Glossy Mist. You can spray a couple of inches above the head and let the fine mist rest on your hair. If you have longer hair you might want to use a couple of extra spritzes directly on the lengths of the hair.
- Once you’ve applied your leave in conditioner, you can use a wide-tooth comb to help with any remaining tangles. It’s important to work up from the ends of the hair being careful not to put any tension on the roots.
- Style as normal!
Salon Know How:
You can use leave in conditioners on dry hair. We recommend checking the manufacturer’s instructions beforehand. If you are using a leave in conditioner cream, a little can be used to smooth the hair on the days when you are not washing your hair. Or give hair a spritz with our Glossy Mist to give hair a pick-me-up.
Why choose a leave in conditioner?
Leave in conditioners are a versatile option, not just for conditioning your hair but also for styling. There’s nothing we like more than a multi-tasking product and the thing we love about leave in conditioners is that with the right product, you shouldn’t need any other styling products. Essentially, the best leave in conditioners should condition your hair and work as styling products at the same time. This reduces the number of products you need to use on your hair.
We love the natural finish that hair gets from leave in conditioner. Whilst you can get styling products that promise shine, we like a leave in conditioner that goes right to the heart of the matter. A favourite ingredient for us is pro-vitamin b5. We use it across the range and in our leave in products. Why? Because it gets moisture right to the core of the hair. When hair is moisturised and the cuticle is smooth, hair reflects the light giving it a naural shine.
Why choose a leave in conditioner spray?
Application matters. We believe the way you apply a product to your hair is just as important as the product you are using. When applying products to our own hair, most of us use too much. We advocate using less product to get better results. A leave in conditioner with a spray application is great for controlling the amount of product you use. It makes it easier to get an even spread of product on the hair. Choosing a leave in conditioner spray with a fine mist helps to ensure a light application and avoids overloading any one area of the hair.
Will leave in conditioner work for my hair type?
Leave in conditioners work for all hair types. It’s simply a question of using the right product for your hair. We like to keep it simple. We have two leave in conditioners in our range.
This leave in conditioner contains pro-vitamin b5 for moisture, Argan Oil to nourish hair, alongside Keratin and Vitamin E for a smooth finish. It can be used for all hair types but we particularly love using it for fine hair because it gives good volume!
The light mist application makes it perfect for fine hair types. This is a volume styling product will not weigh your hair down. You need just 2 to 3 pumps to get a great finish.
How to use to add volume to fine hair:
Application on damp hair:
- Spray a couple of inches above the head and watch as the light mist falls on to your hair. Leave to settle and style as normal.
- Turn your head upside down and spray underneath the hair to give your hair a lift from the bottom up.
- Spraying directly on to the roots is no problem. It really is that light. Remember our mantra is that less is more. One spritz at the roots is plenty.
Salon Know How:
If you are not in the mood for washing your hair and want to add volume, you can use on dry hair. Use a couple of pumps to give hair a lift. You can turn your head upside down, spray and use your hands to gently push hair into place, or give hair a spritz and use a fine toothcomb to backcomb the roots for volume.
Get more styling tips and ideas from our blog How to Look after Fine Hair.
The Glossy Mist is all about getting adding moisture to the hair. Suitable for dry, damaged, bleached or curly hair this leave in conditioner spray adds moisture, smoothes the cuticle, detangles and defrizzes.
It speeds up drying time to reduce heat damage and gives heat protection.
Use on damp hair and, on dry hair, in between washes.
Leave in conditioner: Best for bleached hair:
If your hair is bleached, the cuticle has been opened in order for the hair to absorb the colour. When it comes to styling, the leave in conditioner spray is the best choice for bleached hair. Here’s why:
- The process of bleaching hair (i.e. opening of the cuticle) leaves it dry. The priority when caring for bleached hair is to add moisture and smooth the cuticle. This is an ongoing process.
- Styling products without conditioning ingredients can exacerbate the dryness. Choosing a leave in conditioner can offer the best solution as it can be used for styling, whilst conditioning your hair.
- Choosing a product that both conditions and styles is a great way of reducing the number of products we use on our hair. We think this is important as it helps avoid the product build-up which can leave hair feeling dry and flat.
- By adding moisture to bleached hair, the cuticle becomes plump and gives hair more body.
- A common complaint of people with bleached hair is that their hair looks dull. By using a product that smoothes the cuticle, hair reflects light and has more shine.
Got a question?
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. If you have any questions about our products, would like advice on the best products for your hair type, or have another question about leave in hair conditioner, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org