Long Hair Tips | Expert Guide
Looking for long hair tips? You’ve come to the right place. There is a simple truth when it comes to caring for long hair. Long hair needs proper maintenance. Take time to look after it and you’ll be rewarded with hair that looks and feels great, plus it can be healthy too.
I’ve been working with hair for over 35 years and whilst long hair requires more maintenance, it’s worth putting the time in to get the swishy, shiny hair you’ve always wanted. Build a good long hair care routine and once you get into the rhythm of a weekly routine, you’ll find it’s easy to maintain.
Keep reading to discover my expert long hair tips to get your long hair in the best condition.
Restore and Shine Hair Masque
Deep Conditioner for All Hair Types
Beauty Bible Winner of Best Hair Mask
Wow! Recently recommended I try this and so pleased I did. Smells divine and my hair is gorgeously soft. Great product.
Long Hair Tips | 5 Tips to Maintain Long Hair
1 Get it Trimmed Regularly
Yes, you have long hair. No, this doesn’t mean that you only need to visit the hairdresser once a year. Long hair needs regular trims to prevent split ends, which can make hair look frizzy and become weak and brittle. Visit your hairdresser about every 6-8 weeks for a trim. Regular trims will rejuvenate your hair and keep the style looking sharp.
I’ve written a blog on split ends for the best advice on getting rid of and preventing split ends. Long hair is more prone to split ends so this is great resource for anyone who is concerned about split ends. The reason split ends are particularly problematic for long hair is that, if left unchecked, split ends can ride up the hair shaft. Find my expert tips for tackling split ends in my blog, How to Get Rid of Split Ends and Prevent their Return.
2 Wash and Condition Long Hair Regularly
I know (and sympathise) that washing long hair can add precious time to your already crammed mornings, but regular shampooing and conditioning is essential to keep long hair looking healthy and shiny. Greasy long hair attracts dirt and without regular cleansing and conditioning hair can become seriously dull. Maintain your shine with good quality hair products that look after the health of your hair. That way you can make the most of your tresses, as you swing those long locks.
3 Give your Long Hair a Treat
Treat your hair to a deep conditioner and you will reap the rewards with hair that is hydrated and healthy to its very core. It will be the best use of 10 minutes and you get to sit back and relax as your hair soaks up some TLC. What’s not to love? I recommend deep conditioning for all hair types and it’s my most important of long hair tips. I see deep conditioning as the foundation for hair and I regularly share my expert knowledge on how to get the most from hair masks and deep conditioners.
Got questions about deep conditioners? I answer your questions in my blog, Deep Hair Conditioner, Your Questions Answered for everything you need to know about deep conditioning.
4 Choose the Right Hairbrush for your Long Hair
It can be tempting to rake a brush through your hair then dash out the door. My advice? Don’t. Rough brushing is the fastest way to break your hair and since you’ve spent so long growing those lovely locks, take some time for gentle brushing. Choose the right brush for your hair. If you have long, straight hair, try the Paddle Brush. With padding at the back and shorter bristles, they are gentle on long lengths of hair. The bristles are the same size so it will prevent tangling and this brush is great for increasing shine. For long, wavy hair the round brush is the best choice.
5 Give Heat the Cold Shoulder
With so much hair to blow-dry or style with heated appliances, it stands to reason that you are going to be applying harsh heat to your hair for a longer time. To minimise heat damage, turn down the heat on your hairdryer and at least once a week, let your hair air-dry and give your heated stylers the cold shoulder. Try not to over-dry your hair.
If you are not sure if you are over-drying your hair, time how long you dry your hair for on a normal day. The next day reduce that time by 1 minute and see what difference it makes to your hair. You can keep doing this every day until you find the right amount of drying time for your hair. Chances are, by going through this process you’ll find your hair needs less drying time than you think.
I recommend Styling Mist for Glossy Finish when blow-drying your hair. You can give damp hair 2-3 spritzes of Glossy Mist before you blow-dry your hair. Containing sugar beet this sugar spray for hair helps hair retain moisture and combat the dry effects of blow-drying hair.
Plus it contains pro vitamin b5 to condition hair along with tiny bubbles of argan oil and keratin that temporarily seal split ends. It leaves hair with a super shiny finish.
Styling Mist for Glossy Finish is a sugar spray. It contains Sugar Beet to smooth the cuticle, seal split ends, add moisture and help dry hair retain moisture.
Really pleased with this product, especially during lockdown when I’m swimming in the sea and therefore washing my hair every day. Our tap water is very soft so I don’t use conditioner as it makes my hair too soft. Spraying this product on damp hair makes it easier to comb.
Long Hair Tips | Your Questions, Answered
How do you condition long hair?
When conditioning long hair, it’s good to treat it like your most delicate item of clothing. We are talking that beautiful silk dress or that soft cashmere sweater that you love to pair with your favourite jeans. Hair is a delicate natural fabric and gentle is the watchword when caring for your hair.
Follow my simple steps when conditioning long hair.
- After shampooing and rinsing, gently squeeze the excess water out of your hair. A microfibre towel is a good choice here. The smooth surface of the fabric will protect the hair shaft and prevent damage to the hair.
- Once excess water has been removed from the hair, its time to get to work with the conditioner. Start by applying a small amount of conditioner into the palm of your hands and rub the conditioner between your palms. This will warm up the product and help to ensure you get an even spread of conditioner on your hair.
- Start at the ends of your hair and working your way up. Gently feed the conditioner into the ends of your hair and move towards the mid-lengths. If you need more conditioner, simply add more. Layering product in this way is a good way of ensuring you don’t overload the hair with excess conditioner.
- Leave your conditioner on for longer. This is not one of those essential long hair tips, but leaving your conditioner on for a couple of minutes will give hair an extra boost. Our natural conditioning ingredients are designed to feed the hair and give it the moisture it craves. So whilst not essential, leaving the conditioner on for a little longer is definitely beneficial.
- Rinse the conditioner from the hair using warm water. Avoid washing your hair in high temperatures. Heat in any form, whether it’s from the tap or the hairdryer can be drying for hair. So simply avoid excessive heat.
- Once rinsed, its time to reach out for your microfibre towel again. Gently blot the water out of the hair, being careful not to rub. Start at the ends and gently work you way up the hair. You are ready to go, style as normal.
How do you maintain long hair naturally?
Follow my long hair tips for the best way to maintain long hair naturally.
- Get rid of split ends with regular trims.
- Shampoo and condition hair regularly with good quality products.
- Treat long hair to a weekly deep condition to maintain moisture.
- Choose the right hairbrush. A paddle brush for long, straight hair or a round brush for long hair with waves.
- Reduce the amount of heat you apply to hair and choose styling products that condition the hair.
Styling Mist for Natural Hold and Volume
Styling Product that Conditions Hair as You Style
Brilliant. I don’t usually do reviews but I am so pleased with this. I have grey fine hair which I am growing into another style. This spray has kept my hair looking tidy and natural.
What’s the best long hair care routine?
Honestly, the best long hair care routine is that one that works for your hair. What we mean by that is that it’s individual. My long hair tips above are a great place to start. However, I recommend that you incorporate those steps into your own hair care routine and see what results you get. For example, you may find that regular shampooing and conditioning for your hair works best when you do it 2 to 3 times a week. On the other hand, if your hair is particularly fine, you may find it’s best to shampoo and condition every day. It really depends on your hair. So, the best thing is to think about the long hair tips above, incorporate them and work out your own long hair care routine.
Is long hair healthy?
Long hair can be healthy. However it is more prone than shorter hair to become dry and it can be prone to split ends, becoming brittle that can result in breakage. This can absolutely be avoided with the right hair care routine. Follow my long hair tips above to develop your own routine of looking after your long hair.
How do you take care of thick long hair?
If your long hair is thick or coarse, chances are the biggest challenge is preventing it from becoming dry. That’s because thick and coarse hair types are more prone to becoming dry. So, that means your focus should be on adding moisture at every opportunity.
Follow my tips for taking care of long, thick hair.
- Every time you shampoo your hair, follow with a good quality moisturising conditioner.
- Leave the conditioner in for longer if you can. Let thick hair soak up the nourishing ingredients before you rinse.
- Shampoo and condition hair regularly. Long, thick hair needs plenty of moisture so regular conditioning with a quality product is key.
- Choose a microfibre towel to gently blot water our of your hair after rinsing. This helps to avoid roughing up the cuticle and damaging the hair.
- Choose styling products that add moisture to the hair. This is a great opportunity to add moisture to the hair and helps with preventing heat damage.
- Use a weekly deep conditioner to add extra moisture to long, thick hair. If the hair is excessively dry you can use Restore and Shine Hair Masque twice a week for a couple of weeks and then revert back to once a week.
- Avoid overbrushing the hair and if the hair is curly, there is no need to brush. You can get rid of tangles, after washing, by gently feeding your conditioner into the ends and mid-lengths of the hair using your fingers.
- To add moisture to long, thick hair in between washes, try mixing a little bit of Hydrate and Shine Conditioner with some water. Then work up in between your hands and feed and smooth into the hair.
About the Author
Over the years, I’ve talked to and helped a lot of customers with dry hair concerns. Additionally, I write about all aspects of healthy hair, from how to stop frizzy hair to how to get rid of split ends and share expert tips and techniques for looking after all hair types.
I’ve suggested some further reading below. Go to our Healthy Hair Care Blog to find more articles.
How To Improve Scalp Healthy Naturally
Learn how to improve your scalp health naturally in my blog. I share expert tips for getting your scalp in good health
Discover tips for fixing dry, brittle hair. When hair becomes so dry that its brittle and breaking it can be stressful. Take positive action to improve the condition of your hair and get it back into shape.
Go my guide on how to repair damaged hair. I cover some frequently asked questions about repairing damaged hair. Plus, I talk about some of the causes of damaged hair along with tips on preventing damage.
How to Stop Frizzy Hair –Tame and Smooth Frizzy Hair
Learn how to stop frizzy hair with my frizzy hair guide. I cover the causes frizzy hair, the best products for frizzy hair and how to stop or get rid of frizzy hair.
Take Care of Bleached Hair and Fix Damage
Learn how to keep bleached hair healthy in this blog. You’ll find everything you need to know about taking care of bleached hair, from the best hair mask for bleached hair to how to fix hair damaged from over-bleaching.
Argan Oil, rich in essential fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants is a hair treatment with proven results. In my experience of developing hair product formulations, argan oil delivers softer, shinier hair.
Discover Expert Hair Styling Tips
Short bob haircuts are seriously versatile. Discover how you can style your short bob haircut with 3 easy to achieve hairstyles using the Denman Hairbrush.
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. We are passionate about our products, and, delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. Do you have questions about our products? Or, would you like advice on the best products for your hair type? Maybe have another question about how to look after your hair? If you do, please get in touch at email@example.com.
As Seen In
Beauty Bible Recommends
Restore and Shine Hair Masque was awarded best hair mask in the Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards. As an independent hair care brand, we are incredibly proud to be recognised alongside some of the industry’s biggest haircare brands. Because I spend time ensuring that our products deliver the best results, I couldn’t be happier to get this review and win this prestigious award.
Here’s what Josephine Fairley and Sarah Stacey had to say,
“Beauty Bible fell in love with this mask when we discovered it at a Cosmetic Executive Women product demo evening. The brand comes from a London hair salon, and the mask is a huge boon for hair – packed with avocado, olive oil, aloe vera, nettle and horsetail, together with sage (which is rich in vitamins A, C and E). Just a sniff of this rich, unctuous creamy mask perks you up. Use for gleaming shiny, healthy hair.”