Whether you’re looking for a hair mask for dry hair, want to know how to treat extremely dry hair or the best hair mask for frizzy hair we answer your questions and share a little salon know-how on how to get the most from a hair mask for dry hair.
Hair Mask for Dry Hair
A hair mask is the ultimate treatment for dry hair. When hair has lost its shine or the texture feels rough to touch, hair is dry and is in need of an injection of moisture. That’s why the hair mask is essential to have in your hair care tool kit. Hair masks are designed to deep condition dry hair.
Basically, the job of the hair mask is two-fold:
- Add moisture to the core of the hair. When hair has moisture, it’s less prone to breakage and damage.
- Smooth the cuticle. When the cuticle is smooth it helps the hair to retain moisture and a smooth cuticle reflects light so that hair is shiny.
The job of a hair mask is not that dissimilar to a conditioner, the difference being that the hair mask is more intense. That intensity and the deep conditioning are important when hair becomes dry. There are plenty of things that make our hair dry every day and the idea of hair mask is to give hair a moisture boost to combat those things.
Here are just a few examples:
- Heat is a major factor in making hair dry. So whether you are enjoying a sunny day or applying too much heat with a hairdryer, both will leave the hair in need of moisture.
- Handling hair too much, tying it up, bringing it back down or absent-mindedly twirling hair around your finger.
- When hair is wet it’s at its most vulnerable and prone to breakage. Not being gentle enough with hair at this point can cause breakage. The more breakage the harder it is for hair to retain moisture.
- Sometimes our hair is just naturally dry; curly hair types for example.
The picture below is a perfect illustration of how all us (yes, we own up to it too!) can sometimes treat our hair and the impact that can have in making hair dry. So, yes that sunny beach is beautiful but drying for the hair. Yes, that sea was a dream to swim in but wow saltwater dries out the hair. Plus, don’t forget, just tying hair up when wet can cause breakage.
Our answer to all of the above? Put back what you take out…
Treating dry hair with a hair mask is about replenishing the hair to combat all the things that make our hair dry as we get on with enjoying our lives; whether it’s on a sandy, white beach (yes, please! :)) or styling our hair for a big night out. Treat your hair weekly with a hair mask and you’ll see the difference it makes to the condition and texture of your hair.
Which hair mask is best for dry hair?
Restore and Shine Hair Mask was voted best hair mask in the Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible. Here’s what some of the testers had so say about it:
“Hair feels smoother and more manageable, and lasted longer between washes.”
“Glossy, super-soft, lovely smelling hair after the treatment.”
“I’d recently bleached and coloured my hair which left it slightly frazzled – this got it feeling like normal hair again, so thank you for sending me this wonder product.”
So why is Restore and Shine Hair Masque so good for dry hair of all types?
For a start, it was developed, tried and tested in our London hair salon over many years. Restore and Shine Hair Masque is blended with naturally derived ingredients that add moisture to the hair, whilst softening and smoothing the cuticle. Remember, not only does a smooth cuticle leave hair shiny, but it also helps protect the moisture at the core of the hair. When hair retains moisture it’s stronger and more elastic making it easier to style and helping it to hold a styling for longer. Our approach is to prioritise adding moisture to the hair because we know that when the hair has moisture, whatever the hair type, it looks and feels it’s best. So here’s a bit more about some of the ingredients that are in our Restore and Shine Hair Masque; our hair heroes for adding moisture to dry hair.
Hair Heroes for Dry or Damaged Hair
- Pro-vitamin B5 is an ingredient that has been clinically proven to penetrate the cuticle to add moisture to dry hair. Getting right to the core of the hair helps to leave hair stronger and more flexible.
- Glycerin is the perfect partner for pro-vitamin B5 as it actually attracts moisture to the hair. It’s also a key ingredient in preventing water loss which in turn helps prevent frizzy hair.
- Cetearyl Alcohol is a natural fat. It’s often found in skincare; this is good alcohol and it’s an emollient that softens and smooths hair. Its primary job in our Restore and Shine Hair Masque is to smooth the cuticle, locking in the moisture delivered by the pro-vitamin B5 and of course, adding shine to the hair.
- Avocado is a powerhouse ingredient for conditioning hair. Want a really deep conditioning treatment? Avocado combined with the ingredients above adds super-shine.
- Tocopherol otherwise known as vitamin E is another ingredient inspired by its use in skincare. Often used to help protect the skin from damage, we’ve included it our Restore and Shine Hair Masque to work its moisturising and healing magic on hair.
Is it better to put a hair mask on dry hair?
The answer to that is, it depends. If you are using water-based products such as Restore and Shine Hair Masque, then you get the best results when the hair has been cleansed, using a gentle shampoo. After rinsing your shampoo and gently squeezing out the excess water apply your hair mask to damp hair. Hair is at it’s most porous when damp. It’s best not to leave too much water in the hair before application as the products can slide off the hair with the excess water. For oil-based hair treatments, it’s best to apply them to the hair when dry.
However, there is an exception. If you have thick or coarse curls or afro hair and you to add moisture in between wash days, here’s a little salon know-how. You can mix a small amount of Restore and Shine Hair Masque with a little water, work up in your palms and feed into your hair as you would with curl cream. This is a great way of refreshing your curls in between wash days and hair treatments. If you are using another brand of hair mask we recommend checking instructions before applying in this way.
Don’t forget to take a look at our ultimate guide for caring for curly hair for more tips and ideas for looking after your hair and styling.
What is the best hair mask for dry, frizzy hair?
If you have dry hair, chances are you are also fighting the frizz. We feel your pain! Frizz can be really frustrating but we want to let you know a secret; it’s in your hands to be completely frizz-free.
This is an answer with two parts. First up, choose the right hair mask for your hair type. We take the guesswork out of that and keep it simple. Restore and Shine Hair Masque is suitable for all hair types. Packed with hair moisturising ingredients, as described above it’s the perfect product for adding moisture and smoothing frizzy hair.
The second part is all about the two ‘hows’. How often you apply your hair mask and How you apply your hair mask. So without further ado, let’s talk about how often you should apply a hair mask for dry hair.
How often should I use a hair mask for dry, frizzy hair?
We recommend using a hair mask once a week, every week. It’s not just a one-off event if your hair is feeling a bit dry. If you are serious about getting rid of frizzy hair, the answer is to build moisture in hair with a regular routine of hair mask treatments. Remember, we are constantly exposing our hair to things that reduce moisture. So keeping the moisture levels topped up along with regular smoothing of those cuticles is the surest way of getting rid of frizz for good.
How do I apply a hair mask for dry, frizzy hair?
Application is everything and it’s important to get the most from your hair mask. There are a couple of things to watch out for when using Restore and Shine Hair Masque.
First of all, our products are concentrated so you don’t have to use lots of product to get good results. Depending on how thick hair is or how long it is, you should be aiming to get around 15 to 20 uses out of a 200ml jar of Restore and Shine Hair Masque. So on average 10ml for each use, give or take. If you are hair masking every week, that’s 15 to 20 weeks worth of treatments.
As discussed above, shampoo and rinse hair. Having rinsed the hair, gently squeeze out the water from your hair. Pop a small amount of hair mask into your palms and rub together. Then apply it to the ends and mid-lengths of the hair. This has the advantage of warming it up so it’s easier to apply. Plus it means you don’t end up overloading any one part of the hair.
The other benefit of doing this is that you’ll activate that delicious essential oil blend of lemon, lime and may chang. You’ll be forgiven for thinking you’ve been transported from your bathroom into an upmarket luxury spa. Seriously, it smells that good!
You can leave the Restore and Shine Hair Masque in for 10 minutes or longer, as required.
You can find out more about how to use your hair mask by hair type in an earlier blog we wrote on the subject. If you are on the lookout for further advice on tackling frizzy hair, we’ve written a more in-depth piece on that too.
Do I use conditioner after a hair mask?
It shouldn’t be necessary to use a conditioner after a hair mask. If you are washing your hair 2 to 3 times a week, simply swap out the conditioner for the hair mask once a week. Remember a hair mask is an intensive conditioning treatment so after use, you can rinse and style your hair as normal.
What is the best treatment for extremely dry hair?
When hair has become extremely dry, aside from looking dull, it can start to split and worse case, break. The best treatment for extremely dry hair is to use Restore and Shine Hair Masque twice a week for 2 weeks. This will help to give hair a much need boost of moisture. After that, you can revert to a hair mask treatment once a week. If the hair is extremely dry, it’s fine to leave the Restore and Shine treatment on for longer than 10 minutes. We’d say 10 minutes is the minimum amount of time but leaving it for longer is fine too. Depending on your hair type; for fine hair we recommend 2 hours and for thicker, curly or coarse hair types anything from a couple of hours to overnight.
We have years of experience working with hair and dry hair is a common problem. Take a look at our blog on fixing dry hair for more tips on how to tackle dry hair. In addition to regular hair mask treatments, there are small changes you can make to prevent hair from becoming dry or losing moisture. We’ve listed some of them below.
Small Changes to Prevent Moisture Loss in Dry Hair
- Gentle brushing. Avoid pulling at the roots to prevent breakage.
- Rinse hair in warm water. Too much heat is drying for hair.
- Don’t rub wet hair with a towel. Gently pat the water out of the hair to reduce breakage and tangles.
- Turn the heat down on your hairdryer. Excessive heat from styling appliances is drying for hair.
- Reduce drying time. Reduce drying time by just 1 minute to limit the damage.
- Styling protection. Use a good quality styling product such as a leave in conditioner to add moisture to hair prior to styling.
- Give your hair a break from heated styling. Try airdrying the hair once a week.
- Get your ends trimmed. If you leave split ends untreated they can rid up the cuticle and cause further damage so tackle them head on!
If your hair has become so dry, you would describe it as damaged, take a look at our blog on how to repair damaged hair.
Over the years, we’ve talked to and helped a lot of customers with dry hair concerns. We write about how all aspects of healthy hair, from tackling frizz to getting rid of split ends and share salon tips and techniques for looking after all hair types. We’ve suggested some further reading below but please take a look at our Healthy Hair Blog to find more articles.
Bring the shine back to bleached hair with our tips for adding moisture to bleached hair.
Find out why regular dry hair treatment is an absolute hair must in our blog all out treating dry locks.
Get the heads up on treating extremely dry hair in our blog all about dry and damaged hair.
If frizz is making you frantic, don’t forget to take a look at our blog on how to stop frizzy hair.
And finally, if your hair is very dry and you are being plagued by split ends, follow our tips on how to get rid of split ends and prevent their return.
Ogario London is a salon developed, natural hair care range. As a niche brand, we are passionate about our products and delivering the best results is at the heart of what we do. So, if you have any questions about our products would like advice on the best products for your hair type, or have another question about how to look after your hair, please get in touch at email@example.com
With regular weekly treatments from the ultimate hair mask for dry hair, Restore and Shine Hair Masque you can have seriously luscious locks!
Choose Healthy Hair!
Join the Ogario London Healthy Hair Club to get points every time you shop at ogariolondon.com. Exclusive to our online customers.